Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Fuzzy Around the Edges

During my junior high years, I started going to a dentist that was in our town. My mom had the notion that it would save time and money. Time, yes...money, um no. This guy was a total C&M -- cheap and masochistic. He would 'water' down his anesthetic and gas, so everything he did was felt. I believe once I was given at least five shots of novocaine because I wasn't numbing. He was eventually sued and went out of business.

Then I went back to the dentist I started out with. I cringed the first time I needed to have a cavity filled by this guy (everytime I went to the other one I left with four more teeth needing to be filled. I don't think I ever really had any.), but his novocaine...holy crap!!! And then when I asked for the gas one time, everything changed. Oh, the wonderous gas. I wish I could carry a small tank of it around with me. Seriously. Now I really don't mind going to the dentist. I'm kind of turning into that one character from Little Shop of Horrors...ok, not really...

I love how everything moves with a strobe light-like effect as first. Almost in a jarring fluid way. Then it transitions into the feeling of being trapped in quicksand. You know you're moving, shifting your feet, hands, etc., but the fact is delayed in getting to your mind. What is normally pain is now just warmth and pressure. I get the most bizarre thoughts while I'm under. I had this fleeting thought today that was something like comparing the position I was in to that of a hungry baby bird. Everytime the dentist came near I would open my mouth thinking he ws needed to drill or whatnot. haha. And then it's all over. You have to drive home with that fuzz slowly fading while trying not to unknowingly chew your tongue off. It's nice, though, to arrive back at work without even knowing how you got there. I'm sure it's unsafe, but it really does make the time fly by.

No comments: