Monday, March 31, 2008

Happy Accidents

The teapot I've been working on for what seems like forever collapsed last week. It was basically three or four haphazardly stacked cylinders...reminded me of an abstract oil can. Anyways, I walked into class on Friday and saw that it was lying on it's side. Carrie unwrapped it because I really didn't want to see what happened. It was a big slumped mess. (It was my fault -- I wrapped it in too many wet paper towels) The cylinder second from the bottom had folded down and the rest fell and cracked....and it looked amazing!!! I put it back together and smoothed out some bits, but mostly left a lot of the cracks and holes in tact. I am happier with it now than I was last week. I glazed one of my bowls with a matte khaki glaze that I'm thinking of using on this piece. It turns out more dirty rusty brown than khaki, which is perfect. This is going to become my 'overgrown' teapot...one of my mixed media fiber-and-clay pieces. I'm going to spin a wire-core yarn with various green and brown shades to intwine around and through the holes.

No comments: